Sunday, December 1, 2013

"PITAKOTUWA" ( PETTAH)

The sky gone feeble and dim 
though the usual sun burns bright
I see
outside the blurred window
next to a tall building -once I look straight,
behind a round shaped tower-
the second I look down
Is he kidding me?
I move to and fro
trying to catch a glimpse,
the bus slows down..and I walk out
along the narrow pavement
dampened by the night's showers
mud pools surrounded like guards
chuck! chuck !as I jump on them
ouch! the trousers wet!
stinking vegetable trolleys,
broken tins and bottles 
empty cans and rotten dregs
loathing and nauseating
men backpacked with rice bags 
bums wrapped in dirty rags
couched on doorsteps 
along a row of shacks 
and some double crossed ,seated on the floor 
moaning hungrily - yearning for bread.
The birds flutter
to the sicken wind
as men walk by ,hurriedly
for their chores 
before the red lines crossed

1 comment: