Friday, March 7, 2014

A Note From Thailand
























(Written while in Chaiyo, Ang Thong Province, Thailand)

So this could be the starting point of an adventure. The advent of being alone, to walk alone in a strange city, to smile at the not known, to greet in the “Thai” way, to talk a bit loud , laugh loud and to drag the words  when speaking   , it was weird  on the first day I met  “Mea Won “. Talk a blue streak and no one here would understand a single thing. Perhaps they are gentle and slow in what they do.

Formerly it was known as “Siam”, meaning the dark or brown because the Thai ancestors were black skinned. Interestingly all men and women in the country are whites now.  The black magic of the African ancestry is no longer there in Thailand. The Lao and Chinese origins have brought about a mystic combination in Thais. Thai women are well formed and tempting. So does the men! The two days of my stay at a friend’s apartment in Bangkok brought me down to a room with a stuffed dressing table.  Every semi – liquid cream was a skin whitener.  Little tubes of Pond’s cream, the half emptied bottles of Fair and Lovely and even the Face wash, the moisturizer, exfoliate washes, and sunblock consisted of “whitening agents”.  Ever in my life have I given a second thought for cosmetics, creams or whatever it is? The second encounter sounded like a bomb shell when an old Thai woman questioned me for not having any curls in hair neither any lipstick when every Thai woman is a fashionable craze.

Their owned and diverse life styles are a must to have known. Some those who have found shelter in Northern Thailand   from war in Burma dictates that young girls are fitted with brass neck rings to ward off evil spirits. Over the years the weight of added rings crushes collarbones and ribs. Now tourist dollars impel long – necked woman in Thailand to again collar their daughters. They say it’s a dying custom of the Padaung (Burmese) people. Bangkok is pretty different! The “too short “shorts and t- shirts are often the uniform for women. Huh! Even the men prefer wearing shorts. Hardly one would come across men in trousers here.

I just wondered would they ever care dying of a heart attack or getting end up with high blood pressure. Heaps and heaps of meat they gulp shocks me every time. They just don’t mind whether it’s duck, octopus, the pig or the bull. Terrifying mouths and awful stomachs they’ve got! I still couldn’t finish up eating a whole chicken leg for the 21 days I've spent in Thailand. Food never ends here. Every inch you walk will have a hut full of deep fried meat, sausages and other kinds of weird food which is hard to describe of what they are made. But I’d tell you, one should never miss the food here. It’s one of a kind. Thrilling and tempting! Big cartons of milk and various drinks for 10 or 15 baht is worth drinking. They can quench your thirst for nearly an hours ride you make.

A few Thai parties I witnessed were a singular opportunity to discover the essence of Thai life. We have our Dj’s performing and providing entertainment for us in home. But here the “Karaoke” is something exceptional. Every party or a gathering will never miss singing Karaoke among themselves. They will have the music provided by a record player. Loud and creaky music is what they like. They are phenomenal dancers too!

The happy city is always awake. The clubs and pubs are crowded with those who would like to have a fine dine, get drunk and whine or if you are lucky enough, even to make some casual love.The country is fine even behind the dark holes of Thaksin’s politics. Every step made is gripping here. There won’t be a better place than my home. But I know I’m engulfed with the land’s natural beauty. The sandy lanes, broad highways, glittering nights and softer hearts add more delight.

Last Tuesday was an action packed day. Had so much to do with the little kids in school. That evening I drove myself to the market with my roommate. It was 6.30 in the evening when we were walking back home. Twilight had already settled down on the Chao Phraya River when we were taking the bend.  It was shining in bright red and luminous orange on a yellow mixed magenta canvas fringed beneath the faded bluish patches. No way it was an irresistible picture. I looked back again, again and again until the sun disappeared from my way.

Thailand is seductive, much to rouse a man! A few words poured down my brains. But it wasn't the sun or the sky I saw.


The more I flirt, the more I love Thailand. I gently bent down my head and smiled from one corner of my mouth as I entered the house.



 ( Published in " The Nation" in early february 2014)

0 comments:

Post a Comment