Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Lessons Learnt

We are all connected. May be in thoughts or else in action. This is why I believe that strangers are awesome. Having encountered some, I think it’s adventure. Random people are just those who are yet to come to know. There is something that we can breach off from those who come to us. It’s a balance between life and death. No life is a waste when spending with people. Because there is something good to know always.

I’m not a rich traveler. I’ve just made a few to Singapore, Maldives, and Malaysia. And longtime back to Belgium too. Traveling is fun. It always gives us something new. I just got back home two weeks ago after spending nearly two months in Thailand. It was my second time in Thailand. But this time the trip served something very different.

When did you ever get satisfied thinking that “everything will be ok very soon “. This is crap. Once we achieve a thing, there is something else missing. Working on long term goals don't bring happiness. I knew it. The present is all what we have. Never postpone things. Grab things as much as you can whenever there is a chance. Breakaway the risk. Live the moments now. And now.

We make attempts. Not the first, not the second, may be the seventh will let us jump the wall. When things go wrong we forget the fundamentals. Instead blame the destiny. But impossible is nothing. It is a matter of working up your ass off. Not just to sit and screw up the entire life. Mat was one of those German friends I met during the journey. He often talked about the hard times he had while doing his bachelors. The several times he had to go from shop to shop asking for some little job to earn his living , the time spent walking miles and miles late in the night peeping into supermarkets . He recollected them. He didn’t want to bother his parents. “They weren’t much educated”, he said. But today he holds a Masters in Physics. He is a Science Researcher in one of those reputed Universities in Germany and is eagerly waiting to complete his PhD. Besides he is a rich traveler.

Something interesting now. Yes, internet can be harmful at times. I know. Too much of technology can even lead to distress according to psychologists. But Internet is the greatest thing. Google maps and google translator helped me all the way to Thailand. To talk and travel was easy. Not everything is bad. There is something good about anything we have got. It’s just a matter about how we use things. Attitude crap!

I realized that life is not only what we see in the books or the T.V. Go, get out and do something with people. Seeking out people with different cultures can teach a lot. It could be to speak hearts loud, to listen others or to respect ones feelings. , whether you like it or not. See, there is a lot to know!

The 45 days in Thailand ended this way. Wait, the lessons aren’t done yet.

It was the 1st of March. A Saturday. To leave all people was some kind of an ache. Sarathchandra once said  Lovehi aththe yaam eem pamanayi (Life is all entrances and exits). Where ever we go, what we will carry is the memory. Not that time again. Not those people again.

My flight got delayed that day. I had to spend another 7 and half hours to get to home. I was standing near a departure board when I met a random man. He was from Bangladesh. The long conversation perhaps cheered me up. We talked about Thailand. Many a times he had visited SriLanka. That was something good to know. He was eager to know about my plans for the future. I went on talking. He was married. He had been holidaying for some days in Thailand. And now it was time for him to head back to work in Kuwait after a 5 hour transit in SriLanka.

There was something striking in our meet up. Traveling alone would excite us always. His was different.

Holidaying is different. You know that after a few days you are back in home with your people. But working in your own in another country for years is different. How much it could be interesting you will always miss the people you love. Imagine being alone, miles and miles away? You never know when you will be back in your home country. You’ll Skype them, chat them every day. But the need for affection, security and validation is something you’ll never achieve. This will knock your heart someday. A day you settle down in a country away from people who you love”

Everyone needs the same thing. Everyone needs love security and hopes for a better day. There is no difference in billionaires and a common man.

He gave me his business card. His name, address and contact numbers were all printed. He assured that I can see him if by chance I visit Kuwait or Bangladesh.

I landed to katunayake airport by one ‘o clock in the morning. I put my hands into the pocket. The card was missing. May be by mistake it fell down. I was sad. I will not meet him some day. I don’t remember his name. All I know is, he was a nice man.


( This story was carried in " The Nation"  newspaper under the title " Lessons learnt by a Traveler" on the 20th April 2014)

0 comments:

Post a Comment